Thursday 11 August 2016

Creative Chemistry 103 - Day 5 Liquid Landscape

I figured this inked beauty deserved to shine all by itself. Wouldn't you do a happy dance if your first attempt at creating a landscape using alcohol inks on Yupo turned out the way mine did? I can assure you that I was doing several happy dances all of last night and this morning. I don't think this piece will end up on a technique tag but will be framed instead so that I can look at it often.


When I started with my sky, I was almost despairing, because I only produced odd blotches, so when I finally saw something acceptable, I stopped immediately and went on to create my hills. Again, things did not at all go as smoothly as Tim Holtz made it seem in his video. However, the nice thing about these alcohol inks is that you can keep layering them because the new layer will replace the underlying layer. While I was working in the twilight outside (after all you need a well ventilated room to work with the alcohol ink and blending solution), the light was fading quickly (as is normal here in Crete) and I could not exactly make out my colours any more, but I added a little of each colour I had set out, added a little more blending solution and suddenly magic happened! Just look at those hill tops, especially the one on the right. That's magical, right?

When my panel was fully dry last night, I went on to stamp some grasses (Sheena Douglas) in black Archival ink, but the stamp was too detailed and I pressed it onto my panel for too long, so the image became a an indefinable blueish blob. Oh no! So I grabbed my new TH Christmas stamp set featuring these tall pine trees and stamped those several times while varying the height. Oh my! You can still see glimpses of the blueish grasses through the trees but it creates such a wonderful forest feel. Oh my! Doing another little dance here!

BTW, did you notice the face peeking out from between the hills? So fun!


7 comments:

  1. well done...you certainly nailed the technique...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always a super creation Marianne, always a pleasure to see your work.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an awesome job! I don't think it is beginner's luck. You rocked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely deserved its own blog post - stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW ... great job!! LOVE the colours and how your hills formed. Absolute magic! And I see the face. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dit is nog eens spannend creĆ«ren. Heel bijzonder. veel in te zien, niet alleen het gezicht. Daarnaast ook veel diepteperspectief. Inderdaad om erg trots op te zijn. Liefs Ineke☀️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this is definitely framing material - so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete