Monday 4 February 2013

CAS2 - Bonus day - Warm thoughts

I was so inspired by the ideas and projects from Saturday's bonus day class that I instantly had an idea forming in my head. The class was all about making a clean and simple card using die cuts. So I skipped the assignments for days 2-5 for now and immediatlely started to work out the ideas I had in my head.
JJ Bolton created this gorgeous arrow consisting of a row of chevrons by using a number of nested square dies to cut a small and long strip of chevrons in one go (using the dies at a diagonal angle) and then repeating this with different colours. Apparently, JJ mentioned off-hand that this technique could also be applied with circle dies. I totally missed that remark, but when one of the students repeated that remark in the comments section, wondering what it was about, something clicked inside my head and I was thinking RAINBOWS!

Perhaps I'd better show you my first card to make things a bit more clear:


Just like JJ did with her square dies, I taped down my nested circle dies (Lifestyle Crafts) using paper tape to distribute them evenly and keep them together so that I could die cut all rays of my rainbow (not complete circles) in one go. I repeated the process for every colour of the rainbow, which means that I first cut a rectangle piece of red colorcore cardstock giving me 7 red rays in 7 sizes, followed by 7 rays in orange and so on. For my current card I used the biggest ray in red, the second biggest ray in orange, the third biggest ray in yellow and so on. In fact I decided to cut not 7 but 11 rays (= 11 circle dies) so that I could create at least 5 rainbows in decreasing sizes (1+2+...+7 & 2+3+...+8 and so on). If you're not looking to create rainbows in the 'official' colour sequence, you could of course mix and match to you heart's content.

I created a horizon by scoring a line on my score board and then adhered my rainbow with strips of foam tape. The die cut clouds (C.C. Design) were glued together and then also adhered using foam tape. The sentiment is by Paper Smooches (Sentiment sampler) and was stamped in Memento Tuxedo black ink. I finished the card off with a few Kaiserkraft pearls.

Cannot wait to finish my next card...
This online class is so much fun. What I like most about it is that I'm now playing with ideas and trying out new techniques without having to produce a card every time. I know that the cards will be created in the end when I don't rush it, so I'm enjoying the journey as much as the destination (for now LOL).

BTW The size of my card is 13.5 x 13.5 cm (white Papicolor cardstock)

I'm also entering this card into the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp - Anything goes
MAWTT - Punch it out

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea, and your rainbow turned out fantastic!
    I like the cards in the previous post too!
    Thanks for sharing what you're learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I think I should have looked at the gallery before I made my card! I love a rainbow, and yours is gorgeous! I love the pearl raindrops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is BEAUTIFUL. Lovely rainbow and pearl droplets~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card that will encourage its recipient, Marianne! Thanks for sharing your card with us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just LOVE this CAS card!! It's very much up my alley
    Thank you for sharing with us at MAWTT!
    Red (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is super, what a great card, Love the simplicity of it, Thanks for playing on MAWTT this week, Love Hazelxox

    ReplyDelete